Subject: [Leica] RE: Polarizing Filter
From: paulm.franz@ps.ge.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:49:18 -0500

I am not an expert on this issue, but I believe the following information
from the Schneider Optic FAQ page, is valid.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/faq/faqbw.htm

What is the difference between a Linear and a Circular Polarizer?

                       "A Circular Polarizer is a Linear Polarizer with a
1/4 wave plate
                        added to the polarizer. Circular Polarizers are
necessary when
                        using an SLR that has a beam-splitter which is used
for internal
                        light meter reading. The beam-splitter polarizes
light and
                        depending upon the position of the polarizer, you
may cause
                        double polarization and therefore get inaccurate
meter
                        readings. Circular Polarizers are also necessary for
auto focus
                        cameras. "

I believe M series meters do not require a circular Polarizer, while the R
series meters require the circular polarizers.

Regards

Paul Franz