Subject: Re: [Leica] Variable Contrast CLH
From: bfranson@greennet.net (Bill Franson)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:41:50 -0500

Hi Frank,
I had a Zone VI VC head for a year and never got used to it. I went back to
using a single tube Zone VI and filters, and a Zone VI compensating timer,
and find it the best system for me. When I bought the VC head Calumet was
recommending a Beseler Digital timer. I found that the timer was not
accurate with the head plugged in. Set the timer for 20 seconds and it
would give me 21, or 22 seconds. Unplug the head from the timer and it
would count off 20 seconds. Frustrating. I went through a couple of timers
before I figured out the problem. The thing I learned to really hate about
the VC head was need to "preheat" prior to exposure. The single tube heads
have a heater. The VC head doesn't. Before each exposure you have to
"pre-expose"; turn on the tubes and wait for the green light to go on,
telling you the tubes are up to temp, balanced,  and ready to go. Sometimes
this would take up to 50 seconds. Then you make your print. Having to do
this before every exposure felt like, is,  a waste of time. It reminded me
of having to "pop" the negative when I used to use a condenser head.
 Most of the work I produce, for corporate clients, for exhibit, or for
stock is black and white. So I spend alot of time in the darkroom. The VC
head slowed me down too much and didn't provide me better prints. One last
thing; infinitely variable adjustment seemed like a liability, not an
asset. It was like not having click stops on a lens. Now if I really need
something between a 2 and a 2 1/2 filter I will split the exposure, print
for half the time through one filter, the second half through the other.
Quick and simple.
I wouldn't recommend the Zone VI VC head. Can't comment on the others out
there.

Bill Franson