Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Leica Stigma
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:07:54 -0800

"James R. Nelon" wrote:

> If you're sporting a couple of R8's and lots of other stuff over the shoulder,
> it also helps if you're 6'2", weighing 205 lbs and in good physical shape.
>
> Jim Nelon
>
> Jim Brick wrote:
>
> > Let's explore this for a moment...
> >
> > I thought part of the complaint was that no one knows what a Leica is and
> > most people think that they are P&S cameras. Hardly mugger material. Pretty
> > easy to fence N*, C*, M*, and P* equipment. Well known value. But that old
> > looking P&S... nah!

snip
Jay Maesel talked to our Portland Photo group a while back and he
mentioned he was a black belt. He didn't have to he have off an aura of
not being messed with if I catch my own drift.
I'm not afraid of getting mugged, I'm just not excited about getting my
cameras broken in the tussle. We kid ourselves if we think our newer
Leica's look like second hand archaic relics, they look darn expensive,
a 6 year old kid can see that, my dog can see that, a Leica has a
presence, taping down the red dot and red logo does two things: makes
the camera look less like a choice item and second makes it less
noticeable as you take the picture. Ever hear of a bulls eye? If I ask
someone to look at the camera I want them to look at the lens, not the teleprompter.
I also have also felt that people who walk around with emblazoned brand
names must be in advertising and have that particular account or be race
car drivers or basketball players. I love the company but I don't owe
them a personal endorsement, they should call my agent and I will gladly
discuss a tattoo on my forehead.
(smiley face with tooth missing and Leica tattoo on forehead)
Mark Rabiner