Subject: [Leica] regarding service/ etc
From: "Gary and Dawn Klein" <gdklein@bytehead.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:53:21 -0600

I think one of the reasons why people are so loyal to Leica is the fact that
they will service older lenses and bodies.  I have a lot of $$ tied up in
Nikon stuff,  all non autofocus stuff.  It will probably get sold to feed my
R leica lusts.  Nikon's official service isn't exactly perfect either to
boot.  About 5 years ago I sent in a Nikon FM2n to get a shutter overhauled.
Well, even though I belong to their NPS network, they sent me back someone
else's Nikon 8008.  Well, I complained of couse, sent the other body back
and got my body back.  They even paid for the repair, as they did not honor
their fast service guarantee for NPS members.

However, ever since, for my Nikon gear at least it goes to:

Professional Camera Repair
37 W 47th St
New York, NY 10036

I agree with the threads that don't like it when companies no longer fix
older items.   We all can't be buying new gear day after day.  If you buy
top line stuff, servicing should never be a question.  In my view the more
expensive Leica gear is a bargain as its not from the use and throw it away
mentality.  In today's market all the pro stuff is simularly priced and I
think service is what is going to make it for a manufacturer.  Just don't
let those damned BEAN COUNTERS!

I have a 50mm f2.8 elmar is going in for a overhaul to one of the Leica Lens
gurus.  I know its an old thing, but it sure is neat to use.  Yes and I even
have a next to the new style summicron in addition.  Each lens etches on
film in its own manner.  So I guess they both have a happy home.

gck