Subject: [Leica] 800mm f6.3/ softy thread
From: "Gary and Dawn Klein" <gdklein@bytehead.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 20:38:48 -0600

Has any of you out there used this beast?  I have heard it has pretty good
image quality.  Size aside, it would be almost worth it to buy used along
with a suitable body (say an SL2 Mot, or even an R8 with with the promised
motor!)  My first concern of course, is how is it wide open. Second would be
is this lens single coated or mulit coated?  Can one use the 2X apo Leica
Teleconverter for the R with it?  Its one of those lenses that has had me
interested for many years.

I do like strange and interesting Long lenses.  I have Nikon's first 500mm
mirror lens, the 50cm f5, which has qualities of its very own.  It does
things image wise that make it worth keeping.  And yes it does get used now
and then, but usually on a FM2 or F3.

With the softie issue, to me it is not an issue.  If any of you ever had a
prism Nikon F or F2 with Nikon's AM-1 soft realease, you know it sticks up
even more than the M with an Abrahamsson release.  I am very please how my M
handles with the new release.

gck