Subject: [Leica] 50mm lenses again
From: Deniz Saylan <Photojournalist@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:58:45 +0100

Hi Maria,

,the 50 mm 2.0 and the 1.4 are both very good. But look that the focus goes to 0.7 meter and not only to 1 meter. The difference is huge.
The sharpness - I guess - we all wouldnīt really see the difference!? A friend of mine works on the University of photography in Rochester and did some
tests...at the end nobody could really tell the difference by their own eyes. 5% are huge on physical lab test, but for our eyes??? I donīt know.... I
think every lens, even when itīs the same type, has itīs own character, itīs own colour and itīs own kind of sharpness - so go on and do the test and let
your feeling make the desission.
I prefer the 2.0, because itīs smaller and the quality is good and the focusing goes quicker - you do not have to turn so much. This one apperture isnīt
really so important, except you do a lot of availible light photography with low light (I do it with 2.0, a friend of mine, photojournalist with
Bilderberg, works only with the 2.0 and sometimes he holds times like half a second by his hand). But then youīll have also times of 1/30 sec and more
and then the sharpness of the lens....well who cares when you move the camera anyway while you take the pic?

Cheers,

Deniz