Subject: Re: [Leica] leicaflex SL's self timer
From: Kent Jon Peters <KPETERS@huntel.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:22:38 -0800

Ted Grant wrote:

> Thib wrote:
>
> >As I was using the SL's self timers for some microscopy shots (with old time
> >leitz microscopes fitted with viso adapters and retrofitted with 14167) I
> >experienced differences between the delay of the various self timers :
> >- first SL : about 11 s
> >- second SL : roughly 9 s
> >- SL 2 : 8 s
> >
> >Even if this question might (I admit it might) seem stupid, it is not!!
> >As matter of fact, I'm taking fluorescence shots and the fluorescence of the
> >fluorophores I'm using is very rapidly fading (in about 3 to 5s). That's the
> >reason why I have to know the exact delay of the self timer to add the
> >convenient reagent at the right time i.e. 3 to 5 seconds before the shoot
> >asuming that the vibrations will decay by that time!
> >Final statement : I never could use neither M6, M4-P/M4-2/MdA/MD2...because
> >these bloody cams just don't bear a self timer...got stuck with an M4.
>
> Thib,
>
> The fastest answer to your situation?.....Get rid of those bodies and go R8!
>
> The selftime mechanism seems to be flawles when  have used it on mine.  You
> also have a selection of 2 and 12 seconds delay.
> ted
>
> Ted Grant
> This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler.
> http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant
- -----------------
R8 may be an excellent choice; I have had better luck using my (ahem)
Nikon EM body with my microscopy photos (I have an older Ortho-lux
research scope with trinocular head)... Anyway, when you set the self
timer with this camera, then push the trigger, the mirror swings up out
of the way, so, hence, less "mirror slap" and I have found "better
sharpness"..  My R4's do not do this and I was wondering about the R8??
Does the mirror swing up out of the way at the start of the 'self
timing' or right before the pic is snapped??  Since the 'optics' are in
the scope, I haven't had too much problem (morally, that is) hooking up
a NIkon camera body to it.   Also the EM is light and I don't worry
about dropping it when the kids are fooling with the scope.  ((as added
interest, the scope was a "cast-out" and being salvaged for parts at our
local university!!! my old professor pulled it out and 'presented ' it
to me a few years ago at a Boy Scout meeting, and needless to say I was
on cloud 9 going home!))... kent