Subject: Re: e: [Leica] Off topic again....-beer.
From: raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:19:17 +0100

It is not possible to attain alcoholic content of more than about
14% by fermentation because the yeast that produces the alcohol
dies.
According to the beer "bible" by Michael Jackson (GB, not USA)
the Kulmbacher Reichelbräu Eisbock is indeed frozen for two
weeks after which the frozen part is discarded and after which the
fermentation continues - but the finished product has alcoholic
content of 10%. The "24" mentioned refers to the strength -
actually sugar content - of the primary brew in Plato degrees,
comparable to earlier Balling degrees. If you prefer the British
system this would be about 1098 - now this sounds really strong,
doesn´t it - but it means only about 9.8% alcohol in the finished
product.
The devices used by home brewers in measuring alcoholic content
are notoriously unreliable.
BTW we have our own Ice Beer in Finland, too - and it is a normal
medium beer of slightly more than 5% of alcohol.
As I have used the Finnish version of the classic book the
terminology may be out of kilter but I think the principles are not.
All the best. Raimo