Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-Topic: Quebec Dining
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:08:43 -0500

QUEBEC DINING:

Take a note: Café Krieghoff.

About a mile West from the Chateau Frontenac,
perhaps a bit more, there is a bistro called the Krieghoff,
for a famous Canadian Group of Seven painter.

The place has a lot of "character" and the food is
very good but NOT of the fancy ***** restaurant
variety which also is easily available in Quebec city,
yet generally more European than Quebecois
or North American.
Flavors and aromas, textures and visual appeal
of the many dishes i've seen or tried are excellent.
Service is courteous and professional.

Prices normally are very acceptable and people
most definitely keep returning there.
The "habitués" ("regulars") go there for a lazy breakfast
and to read their newspaper or enjoy a relaxed chat.
Others prefer the evening when it's more lively.
I hope it's still the same owners. Real good spot. Clean.

An excellent place for both couples and singles, children even.
The staff is friendly and recognize their customers,
often on a first name basis. Many "intellos" hang there.

Mealtimes can be hectic as it is quite close to major
Government office towers, but it's worth trying at least
one meal there. It's located in a re-developed area that
features many interesting shops, most services too.

I'm a sucker for sweets and they sure have what it takes:
can't help but mention their blueberry pastries in season,
perhaps from frozen fruit at this time of the year.
If they happen to have something made from maple syrup,
go for it!

Their various coffees are all very good, too.
I'm a no-alcohol person, so i don't know about
their bar, but they do have a wine - beer license.

A good place to "catch your breath"
and live a little closer to Life, with good company.

At night, the Carnaval can be cruelly cold,
right by the St Lawrence and the St Charles rivers,
despite the chanting and the dancing:
consider bringing long johns for your health and comfort.
The people dress in a way they call "onion skins":
many layers of comfy clothes rather than heavy clothes,
to keep control as their alcohol levels rise...
If the weather turns out being milder: no problem then,
just take a layer or two off.

Sometimes, depending on the light, the Old City,
can be a fantastic photo op about sunrise
and the next hour or two. There should be, usually is,
ice sculptures and castle: hot spot, photo wise.
Don't miss Place Royale in the Lower City.
If you enjoy skating, there normally is safe skating
on beautiful St Charles river, even at night, in February.
Tobogganing at the Chateau Frontenac slides can he a lot of fun,
also safe and available at night usually.

If you ski or enjoy snow sports, there are many resorts
to choose from in the Quebec City general area,
Mont Ste Anne being the dominant one, snow freaks
drive North to Charlevoix / Baie St Paul area (about an hour),
but i forget the darn ski place's name. Riviere ... ?  <gr>
If you happen to go there, there is Ste Anne de Beaupre basilica;
i mention it because ever since childhood, the incredible mosaic
of the ceilings and various animals sculpted on the pews
have been fascinating for me; at night, the mosaic sort of glows
as it reflects the lights below: Noctilux stuff.
I prefer the Chemin Ste Foy "Eglise St Sacrement":
can't help it: people actually applaud the organists, most Sundays...

If you enjoy classical music, the Violons du Roi and the
Orchestre Symphonique de Quebec definitely are worth
your while. Look into events at the Grand Theatre:
should be something deserving the expense and time,
depending on your temper / tastes,
or make reservations in a ***** resto: yes, Madame !
At least ONCE ! Indulge in a five service meal
and a few bottles.
Bars and discos by the dozen: have your pick.

Also, many Quebec City people understand English enough
to be helpful, or they'll get you someone who is more fluent.
Don't worry about this.

I wish you a memorable stay of the most pleasant sort.

Andre Jean Quintal

PS: the Leica photo shop is Henri Leclerc Camera.
      They have two outlets i know of.

PS 2: I also very much enjoyed Sunday brunch at the
	Auberge des Gouverneurs, but fancier ones
	can be had, probably at the Concorde,
	the Chateau Frontenac, and neighbouring area.

PS 3: There's a sort of restos called "tables champetres" *:
	you sort of get yourself in a eating disposition
	and wind up drunk, after quite a few Quebec
	or French dishes. I don't know if they do that
	sort of thing in Winter.   ;+)
	* "field staple tables" or something like this in English.
	Ask Tourisme Quebec for the really good spots,
	 they're better than me at this.

	     <<<<<<< o >>>>>>

At 19:44 -0500 21/01/99, csocolow wrote:
>Dear Northern LUG Neighbors (and anyone else who wants to contribute),
>
>I'll be in Quebec City with my wife Feb. 10-15 for skiing and the winter
>carnivale. Of course I'll be laden with Leicas, film, a lust for life
>and my usual passion for good food. That being the case I am looking for
>suggestions on casual bistro-type dining as well as a  nice restaurant
>with a continental flavor. I petition the vast knowledge of the LUG and
>thank you in advance.
>

>Carl Socolow
>
>p.s. Cigar store recommendations are also appreciated.

   Our Lord resurrected and quickened His body.
   He is our pattern.
	Search for God II, p. 57
	Edgar Cayce Foundation