Subject: Re: [Leica] Gurkhas & khukuris - off topic.
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 19:55:37 -0800

Ian wrote:

<<<<Sorry Ted, but the Gurkha regiments are from Nepal not India and the story
>about the blood is one of many tall tales told of them.>>>>>>

Hi Ian,

OOPS! :)  Here's a couple more about their ability to use the khukuri very
effectively. True or fantasy!:)

This around from WW 2.  It's said they were so efficient that one time a
Gurkha swung at a an enemy soldier and it seemed that nothing happend. The
enemy soldier said, "You missed!"  The Gurkha responded, "Wait till you try
to turn your head!" :)

Another one was how Canadian soldiers must tie their boots in a particular
fashion so that the laces where always exactly the same for all ranks. This
meant if one was on guard duty or in a slit trench at night, a Gurkha could
tell if it was a Canadian or German soldier merely by lightly running his
fingers  over the boot laces in the dark. Depending on how the laces felt
determined on whether you got your throat cut or not!  Very quickly and
quietly! :)

I'm sure the tales are endless with these troops, probably make a very
interesting book, "The "Fantasy Tales and Times of Gurkha Regiments"

<<<<<<<I am just emerging from many days in the darkroom - I have finally
>finished processing film from my trip out and have started on some print
>making.  Unfortunately I am almost completely out of chemicals now so the
>printing will have to wait until we are set up in Bangkok.  I still have a
>good stock of Velvia and the spring wheat, rice and mustard should be out
>soon so I'll spend the rest of my time here cruising for snaps.>>>>>>

By the description of the fields and weather I'd much rather be out with a
couple of Leicas and a bunch of film myself.:)

ted