Subject: Re: [Leica] OFF-TOPIC: OED
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:53:54 -0500

What can I say?  I'm general editor of one series and have dealt in various
ways with several presses, both commercial and academic.  They all have the
same policy, though most allow for "Americanisms" and neologisms that arise
from rapidly emerging technologies and what have you.

I'm perfectly aware of the OED's shortcomings as a philological resource.
The question isn't about etymology; rather about usage.  "Unquote" has
appeared in print precisely in the sense that Ball suggests since 1935 (at
least).  What's here to quibble about?

Most Americans instinctively understand the colloquial and often ironical
use of the phrase, "quote unquote," as in "We watched the OJ--quote
unquote-- 'trial' on television."  For non--native speakers of American,
this means that it was anything *but* a trial in the conventional sense of
the word.

Chandos