Subject: Re: [Leica] Unquote (was: Contax color rendition)
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 19:29:34 +0100

Buzz,

Well this is a very radical statement you make. I have a Harper Collins
dictionary on my knees, which says the same as the 2 others. As to my
reference to 2 UK English-French dictionaries, may I inform you that my
first language is French, not English, despite what my name and surname
might suggest.

These dictionaries tell me that "unquote" is used to close a quote. It
was of normal business practice to use the QUOTE..text...UNQUOTE as a
presentation of contractual data in telex exchanges (when telex existed)
and not only in English.

Lucien used a Webster dictionary which stipulates the same.

So here we are with 4 different dictionaries which you, from the height
of I do not know what sanctified knowledge, dismiss without any further
reference. Could you please explain what is the Authority that decides
what are the proper dictionaries and the bases on which this Authority
has condemned the bad dicstionaries. With the complete list of infamy
and where it has been published.

Expecting to read something more documented from you on the matter...

Alan