Subject: Re: [Leica] Assorted Ordnance - off topic.
From: "Thomas M. Wyse" <tmwyse@centuryinter.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:06:57 -0600

- -----Original Message-----
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Wednesday, January 20, 1999 11:30 PM
Subject: [Leica] Assorted Ordnance - off topic.

>James Harrison wrote:
><<<<<<<brought his officer's sword back to the states on a commercial
>flight.  Full dress for the wedding at my home.. He was playing with it
>when his father replied " never take it out of the scabard unless it tastes
>blood".  I thought that was a quaint custom;;jh>>>>>
>
>Hi James,
>
>it's my understanding that the Ghurka's of India, incredible soldiers, you
>really want then on your side in a fight.  Always draw blood when they take
>their knives from the scabard, even if they nick themselves on the hand or
>wherever to draw blood on the blade.
>I beleive it has something to do with their religion and ancient customs.
>ted

This was a custom of the Turkish military also..

Marc,
    If you are able to do okay at a 1000 yds, I would suggest that the rifle
has been rebarreled.    A 30-06 has a diameter of .308 (in 150 grain or 240,
or any other) the 8 mm was .323. or some were "j" bore, .319 ( I think) in
either case the chance of hitting anything at 1k yds would be remarkable, if
not a miraculous.

BTW I use a 1905 Mannlicher-Schoenour (spell ?)
tom