Subject: Re: [Leica] Off topic again....-beer.
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:53:09 +0100

Henning,

I do not believe that a beer can attain 24% by volume through the natural process.
Even wine cannot ferment to such a strength, because the alcohol will kill off the
yeast. All the wines with 20+ alcohol content (like port) have alcohol added to
them during the fermentation. Something similar must be done with the beer you
mention.

Happy drinking!

Nathan

Henning J. Wulff wrote:

> I have here in front of me, also bought in Vancouver, a bottle of
> Kulmbacher Reichelbraeu Eisbock at a nominal 24%. I realize that this is
> produced (and measured) in a different fashion, but it is still
> exceptionally strong. Here the alcoholic taste does not dominate, as the
> rest of the taste is so powerful. One glass will do ya.
>
> For actual drinking I prefer Pilsener Urquell or Holsten Dry. We have the
> micro-brewery thing going very strong in our area, and many good beers are
> produced, but they are all on the heavy and dark side, which is not what I
> like for my main beer.
>
>    *            Henning J. Wulff
>   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
>  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com