Subject: Re: [Leica] Buying R8,need advice on lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 23:56:53 -0600

At 11:26 PM 1/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Eric,
>Can you tell me how the R8 ttl flash compares to Nikons? The multi segment
>would seem to offer some advantages.  I looked at an N90s yesterday and just
>couldn't get excited. I really like the design of the R8. Maybe an F4
>wouldn't be soo busy.

It's great, but Nikon is the flash king. But you have to use something
later than an F4 to benefit from it. I would say that's a compelling reason
to get an N90 at the least. It's great with TTL flash. But the F5 is just
as good, and I'm sure the F100 would be too.

On the other hand, I've done a lot of flash with the R8, and it's dang
good. And it has one major advantage. You can put the flash in manual, and
then use the camera's flash meter for some very precise flash control. I
shoot copy slids from prints with my R8 using the flash meter, and it's
uncanny how accurate it is, and it automatically compensates for lens
extension! Try that with a Nikon. :-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.