Subject: Re: [Leica] "cold" lens rendition
From: Mikiro Mori <arbos@iname.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:54:44 +0100

Hi, Alan.

Please don't take me wrong.  I have no intention to say that your retinas
are defective. :-)

- ----Snip----
>We probably do not have the same
>perception of colours but each of us can normally notice variations
>between 2 images, even if we might not qualify those variations in the
>same way or notice them to the same degree.

Yes. I agree with you.  I just wanted to point out what you wrote after
"even if".  My understanding is that this is the root of the issue.  But, I
must admit that the variations in the retina are sometimes unreasonably
amplified or biased by tastes or beliefs in our brains. Also, what one
describes with "yellow" or "blue" sometimes has nothing to do with
physically defined "colors".

>Would that also explain why perfect humans may recognise a certain color
>glow in pictures shot through a certain German gear, even after all
>pre-press and press or web procedures have been put to work ?

By no means.

>And why
>the same perfect humans are fully confident that they recognise
>systematic hue variations induced by the glass and coatings used by each
>manufacturer of contemporary optical devices ?

Yes, I think it would, if you say "why some humans with their retinas (and
brains) are fully confident that they recognise systematic hue
variations...."

>I am nothing but a miserable ignorant gnome plagued with accute "color
>vision deficiency" and sick photoreceptors, I must admit ;-)

Please do not be ironical.  I myself have sick green photoreceptors.  But, I
am not sure if this is why I can see little differences in color renditions
among lenses.

>Maybe the Japanese are genetically plagued with the same deficiencies
>and that is why they are not able to produce glass and coatings capable
>of 'neutral' images: yellow or blue, but not 'neutral'...

I have been convincing myself that this is the case.  Made-in-Japan's, with
whatever inscriptions on them, will never be neutral to some eyes (and
brains).  Or, perhaps, I should think that some people are gifted with
retinas (and brains) that are genetically suited for seeing the differences.

>Or is it marketing: a group of suppliers caters for the lovers of blue
>renditions and another group for the lovers of yellow renditions, all of
>them (except one) carefully avoiding 'neutrality'  ?

Is it not the case?  I thought that professionals choose lenses with color
renditions (in the broader sense) that satisfy their tastes and that
manufacturers are conscious of that in making their lenses even if they
claim that they are "neutral".

Regards,

Mikiro Mori
Strasbourg, Europe