Subject: RE: [Leica] Japanese SM/M Lens
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:56:14 -0800

WOW!!!  I look forward to the Konica stuff.  For years they had the best
quality control for manufacturing lenses of all the Japanese lens makers  (I
knew some execs at Nikon and Mamiya who told me this, so please no flames).
A good Hexanon made by Konica (not Tokina or others that OEM'd theirs as
Hexanon) are killer optics.  Yes, they too copied Zeiss designs but they did
it very well.  My favorite is an old Konica IIIM with 50mm F1.8, basically a
copy of the Planar design that is still used intact as the 45mm Planar
Contax G lens.  They had a 60mm that was very sought after, hopefully this
one is a recreation of that.  With modern design and glass (Konica is one of
the few that actually make their own) if priced right it may be an
interesting lens even for use on an M.

Peter K