Subject: Re: [Leica] Metering the highlights. Help!
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:35:30 -0800

Kevin wrote:

>I think it was Ted who brought up that old piece of wisdom of metering for
>the highlights (when shooting slide film) and letting everything else fall
>where it may.  I've heard this before but confess that I don't know that I
>always understand what that really means.  Here's and example.
>
>Tonight I was shooting over by my favorite broken down pier.  There's a
>rotted out metal row boat I placed in the foreground, water in the mid to
>background, and rotted piers in the background (nice reflections in the mid
>ground).  So the frame from bottom to top was: boat resting in the mud,
>water (seen through the boat as well), reflections, and pylons.  The boat
>spot metered at about EV 7, the water around 10 (late in the day with heavy
>overcast so the color was steel gray), the pylons and reflections around 7
>or 8.  I was using E100S.>>>>>>

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the delayed answer, trying to catch-up. However, I see several
others have responsed, certainly much better than I.

It simply comes down to your descriptions of EV and zone things that I
don't have a clue what yer talking about! :)

EV I know has somehing to do with exposure values and the zone system is
something like that also from Ansel Adams.  But the truth of it is, the
only zone I know is a de-militarized zone and one shouldn't enter! :)

Good thing ther are some good technical folks with us on the LUG.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant