Subject: [Leica] RE: Win 95 to 98 [off topic]
From: "Michael D. Turner" <mike@lcl-imaging.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 16:10:54 -0800

I have two "legacy" systems running Win95. Neither is really up to NT and
they will never by upgraded further, especially not to W98. Not all crashes
are directly attributable to the OS; M$ applications often wreak plenty of
their own havoc. My "main" system runs NT (actually a dual-boot with
Linux), and it rarely crashes--unless I'm using Visual Studio (M$'s
development environment for Visual C++, among other things). It crashes NT
regularly. If your cohorts are using Visual Studio on W95, it must be
absolute hell! One of my W95 boxes crashed so often with M$ Office, that I
had to uninstall it. Office only occasionally crashes my NT box. Oh, BTW,
Linux goes and goes and goes...

Mike

At 07:37 PM 1/16/1999 -0800, Jim Brick, you wrote...
>Years ago, I went from DOS to Windows NT. I've been running Windows NT 4.0
>since before it officially came out. I have had zero problems. I run
>everything. I boot, perhaps once every two weeks and only because I'm
>changing a configuration or installing something new. You could not give me
>Win 95 or 98. I've heard nothing but bad. At work, only those people
>running 95 or 98 have problems. Either it cannot see the network properly,
>or it cannot print. Or they cannot get their e-mail. It's always something.
>And they re-boot several times a day. While NT just runs and runs and runs.
>Even DOS under NT is a joy. Yes, NT has some weirdness sometimes, but for
>every one problem NT has, 95 or 98 has 100 problems. I am NOT a Microsoft
>fan. But I have to use their stuff. Out digital camera chip (Photo Chip)
>will be interfaced with Windows CE. So I'm joined at the hip with
>Microsoft! Ugh!!!
>
>Jim

Mike

"Sing whatever is well made..."