Subject: Re: [Leica] Japanese built Leica R zoom lenses
From: John Gong <jgong@cisco.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 22:48:27 -0800 (PST)

John,

The 28-70 is a Sigma design, with Leica specified glass.  The current
version is manufactured by Kyocera and is well built.  It is optically very
good- high contrast, good color saturation, sharp, low distortion.  Not as
good as prime lenses in this range, but the photos wouldn't embarass anyone
either.  Having owned this lens and the current 35-70, I'd have to give the
nod to the latter.  The aspherical lens element adds noticeable sharpness,
especially on the short end.

And yes, any Leica product that's not made in Germany gets a knock.  But
consider the "Made in Japan" dismissal an advantage for buying Leica
quality at an almost reasonable price.