Subject: [Leica] Using Older Gear
From: Robert Meier <RobertMeier@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 17:56:13 -0500

Message text written by INTERNET:leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>I would welcome comments from those who use the older Leica gear. Those<

Martin,

I sold my M6 last year and have been shooting a lot lately with a IIIc with
the Summitar.  All B&W available light so far, usually with the lens wide
open.  The results are very different than the hard edged, super contrasty
results that are the goal of modern lens design and usage.  The images have
a softness and a glow to them that is very appealing.  They retain enough
sharpness so they don't look fuzzy, and the out of focus areas have great
body and feeling.  I'm looking forward to shooting some slide film with the
Summitar; I will probably try some Provia 400 or even the Provia 1600.  I
don't need the saturation of Velvia, but the qualities of Kodachrome 200
might be consistent with what I'm looking for.

I had the shutter of my IIIc rebuilt with new curtains by DAG, so I am
getting accurate shutter speeds, and I've been using a Sekonic 318B
incident light meter with very consistent and accurate results.

Bob