Subject: RE: [Leica] Noctilux fever
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 11:04:52 -0500

> And, by the way, yes, I am interested in "available light" photography,
> and not just at noon during summer.  Still, with EI 400 film, at f2 and
> 1/15s or 1/30s (possible with bracing and proper breathing) you can get
> wonderful shots.  With a Nocti, the same would be 1/60 or 1/125 at f1.
> The difference between resting your elbows on the table or not.
>
> I'm sure that those who have bought Noctiluxes are very happy with
> them.  Still, I'm convinced that spending the equivalent on practicing
> (i.e., film, developing and printing) would ultimately result in
> better photographs.  At least for me.

Martin - Very interesting politically incorrect comments. I don't know that
I'd agree with your apparent passion for the older equipment - I've owned
and used IIIc and various Ms, and now use the M6, and I wouldn't want to go
pre-M. And While the older lenses are certainly fine, the newer lenses tend
to be finer.

OTH - All of the "Greats" who are revered by most on the list did their
greatest work with the older equipment - and even the modern "greats" used
the older Ms with the older generation of M lenses.

I, too, do available light shooting, and I must say the extra stop would be
nice. And if I had unlimited funds, I'd probably get a Noxtilux simply to
use at F 1. But as you say, just slow down the shutter speed or speed up the
film, and you get the stop. I've been finding lately that I can easilly
shoot in the Boston subway system with a 1.4 and Tri-X rated at 800. In
fact, I can often shoot at 800 at f2 at between a 60th and a 15th, which is
certainly handholdable for my 52-year-old hands.

The bottom line is that this is, in my
humble-and-not-meant-to-be -confrontational opinion :-) a list this is more
Leica equipment oriented than what I might call Leica philosophy oriented.
How would I define Leica philosophy? At it's most basic, it might be
described as using the least obtrusive, intrusive equipment to get the most
photographically - given that the equipment is of the highest quality and
reliability.

Ramblings for today..
Best...

P.S. Has anyone out there survived a conversion from Windows 95 to 98
without a nervous breakdown?