Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux fever
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 20:46:53 +0000

I think, Martin, that your concluding statement says it all.  If you
know your film and how to process it, you've got half the battle won.
If you really know what your equipment will do, you've gone all the
way.

My quick war story was an event in a very dim cathedral where an old
college roommate was being installed as the dean of a theological
seminary, and I was in a pew with an M3, Summarit and Tri-X.  The
light level was so low that I couldn't get a reading from the MR
meter so I mentally calculated down from a lighting environment whose
exposure I knew.  The result was, if I do say so myself, a very nice
portfolio of that memorable event including a portrait at the
lectern that now hangs in his office.

Roy

On 15 Jan 99 at 23:40, Martin V. Howard wrote:

[snip]
> I would welcome comments from those who use the older Leica gear.
> Those with IIs and IIIs, who use 35 Elmars and Summarons, 50
> Summars, Summarits and Summitars, 90 Elmarits and 135 Hektors. Tips
> for using cameras without built-in meters in poor, non-uniform
> lighting.  Not because I'm anti-technology, but because I'm sure you
> exist and it would be a nice balance to the discussions about
> high-tech, super-expensive, exotica.  Leica, to me, is as much about
> being able to take pictures where an SLR wouldn't work, as it is
> about quality, myth and money.

[snip]