Subject: [Leica] RE: R Minolta lenses
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:43:52 -0800

Those R lenses that are Minolta designs are well known by the R
photographic community. As are the (old) Zeiss, Angenieux, and Schneider
designs. For the most part, the NON Leica lenses were in the fringes. Leica
(Leitz) covered the prime lenses and prime focal lengths themselves. Of the
R lenses sold by Leitz/Leica... Old Minolta: 16, 24, 35-70, 70-210, 500
Mirror. Old Zeiss: 15mm. Old Schneider: 21, 28PC, 35PC. Old Angenieux:
45-90. And old Leica: 19, 28, 35, 50, 80, 90, 100, 135, 180, 250, 350, 400,
560....... all the prime stuff is from Leica.

It's possible that my memory is a little foggy, and I'm sure someone will
correct me if I put a lens in the wrong group.

However, it is an incorrect statement that [older] Leica R lenses are
really Minolta designs. Only fringe lenses are Minolta designs. Stuff
outside the "meat and potatoes" focal lengths.

Jim