Subject: [Leica] Re: Lens test results
From: "Tim Spragens" <t.spragens@cityweb.de>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:25:18 +0100

> NO, NO, NO!  What the article was is a comparison of manual focusing SLRs
> vs. autofocus SLRs. Lenses made for manual focusing produced sharper
> images than their equivalent AF lenses.  Even focusing the AF lens manual
> did not do better. Why?  As I remember, AF produced the best possible
> guess at a focus, while manual focusing lenses were easier to have dead on
> thereby producing better results.  More than that I don't remember, but I
> will review the article and let LUGs know the month of the issue if they
> would be interested.

Don't know the Canon AF, as I haven't used the Canon since my
Pellix, but the Nikon AF lenses have less rotation in the AF focus
rings than in the MF focus rings. The MF gives a bit more room for
user error when focussing. I do manually focus my AF Nikkors from
time to time, and can focus accurately with them.

Tim