Subject: [Leica] Seeking Elmarit-R 19 Advice
From: "Viehman, Mark MS" <Viehman.Mark.MS@bhp.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:32:07 +1100

Time for the annual de-lurk...

It appears I'm trailing way behind Alastair on the acquisition front this
year and I'm trying to narrow the gap somewhat.

I have an opportunity to get a 1980-vintage (s/n 30401xx) 19/2.8 for A$1350
(or US$850).  The shop--probably the most reliable in Melbourne--says it's
hard to move R gear so they've priced it keenly.  It appears used but not
abused, with some marks on the otherwise naked looking front element.  They
look like waterspots but don't come off with a lens cloth.

I recall various posts where people praised this lens, or at least some
versions of the 19.  Is the 19 of this vintage a good one?  What experience
have any of you had with filters?

Also, since I'd like to use it rather than just own it, I'm curious to know
its particular strengths in your arsenal.  If you were to take only three
lenses on a trip, would this be one of them? The other R lenses it would be
joining are a 24, 35/2, 60, 90/2, 135, 180/2.8 and a 2x--any synergies?
Should I dump the 24?

It's going out for a test drive this weekend.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

markviehman@email.com
Melbourne, Australia