Subject: RE: [Leica] Star Wars "M" scenes
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:02:56 -0500

> The February issue of Vanity Fair contains multiple pages of color
> photographs shot at the Star Wars film set in Tunisia by Annie
> Liebovitz, whose career I have been following since she started with
> Rolling Stone Magazine in San Francisco in the 1960s. All the
> photographs were taken with her M6 and the Editor's Letter on page 28
> shows her on the set with her M6 and M winder. Truly most unusual
> subject material and she is the only one that has been given permission
> to photograph the goings-on by George Lucas.

Or, looked at another way, she was the photographer chosen by George Lucas
to promote his movie. Let's not confuse Liebovitz's skills as a photographer
with Lucas's FORMIDABLE skills as a promoter. What her doing this shoot for
Vanity Fair says is not that she is the best photographer to document the
making of a movie; not that she is the best photographer to shoot people -
only that Lucas recognized the fact that she is a media star in her own
right, and anything like this she shoots will get enormous publicity. Which
is not to say that they aren't great pictures ( or to say that they are, as
I haven't seen them yet myself.)