Subject: Re: [Leica] pocket camera Matchbox Leica
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:36:43 -0700

Joe Berenbaum wrote:

> At 05:37 PM 1/11/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >The Rollei 35 is the true pocket Leica or Leica M.5. (that's M point
> >five). That's not including screw mount Leica of course.
> >These other cameras are plastic plastic plastic with not a capital p.
> >My regard for the precious metal Rollei's are that they belong hanging
> >from  your rear view mirror.
> >Get an old one, the Singapore models are ok.
>
> I always think of these as matchbox Leicas. I'm interested in why you say
> get an old one, or do you mean an original type rather than a Classic? I
> have two old German ones with the Carl Zeiss lenses and a Singapore 35S and
> I really don't know what I like best.
> Also- anyone ever use one of these with the neckstrap? Its the same as the
> wriststrap but a fair bit longer. Its the only way I know to walk around
> with two at the same time, both ready to use, without banging them
> together; one on the wriststrap, one round my neck.
>
> Joe Berenbaum

Matchbox Leica!!!!
Mine happens to be a 3.5 Zeiss tessar from the first year, made in
Germany. By get an old one I meant original type not classic with the
hot shoe on the bottom, not top like the Classic. Like Classic Coke,
watered down.
By the way this week I read that then Summicron is a copy of a Tessar.
I'm not sure if there were any underhandedness in it, I assume not but I
assume what ever went on was par for the course.
Wouldn't your camera go smashing into something around your neck,
pendulum effect?
Mark Rabiner