Subject: [Leica] Re: Photographer for a radio station
From: "D . K." <tekapo@golden.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:57:38 -0500

> Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:08:29 -0500
> From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
> Subject: [Leica] RE: Photographer for  a radio station.
>
> How does one get to be a photographer at a radio station............
> Well HCJB is not a typical radio station.  In Quito we record and
> broadcast, English, Spanish, Quichua, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese,
> French and German programs....  Our Pifo transmitter site is the largest

> recording studio, accounting, personnel, engineering, ISD, etc. and yes
> one-man photography department......  If you can imagine all of the
> possible photographic needs that these areas can generate....

Dear Duane, I suspect I may be one of the few Luggers here with a sense
what HCJB is all about, having listened to it for a couple decades. I must
confess to being a secular listener, mostly for DX Partyline, but it seems
to me that HCJB features less cultural and historical coverage about
Ecuador than in years past at the expense of the religious material.
Perhaps you can pass that along to the programming staff. What I really
wanted to mention here was the HCJB QSL cards. Do you photograph any of
these?. I haven't seen or reported for any QSLs at HCJB in 20 years, but in
the late 70s as a young teenager growing up in New Zealand I used to submit
regular reception reports to HCJB. At the time they had different monthly
QSL cards that were typically series about Ecuadorian life. I still have
the cards stored in a shoebox today and the photographs on them gave me
such a good perspective about Ecuador that I've always wanted to visit
there. Alas, my only contact with the country in the intervening years has
been your radio station which consistently booms into southern Ontario with
awesome signals on all the frequencies. BTW, the much lower-powered Radio
Quito on 4919 kHz comes in quite nicely here in the evenings as well. Don't
understand the Espanol, but the music and vibe is lovely.

Dave Fisher
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada