Subject: Re: [Leica] Chalk and ...Presoak
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:35:36 -0700

RBedw51767@aol.com wrote:

> Mark:
>I have never pre-soaked my black and white negatives but I do retain
copies of
> all material on it.   I agree with you about doing just the opposite of what
> manufacturers recommend, especially Kodak.
> Mark, I understood everything you posted except your comment that; "The use of
> distilled water might get me to try not presoaking."    I assume that this is
> because of the cost of distilled water.  Would you please explain this to me?
> Thanks.
> Bob Bedwell
>
> <<  The use of distilled water might get me to try not
>  presoaking. >>

I was not differentiating the use of distilled water as a presoak or as
the water used in the  developer. The second I had heard of more and
thought of more and would seem to have more effect. I never used to get
uneven development in Chicago and St. Louis where the water is treated
differently than here in Portland Oregon.
I could see how the use of distilled water in my developer might be the
magic key to prevent the uneven development I almost always get if I
don't presoak in my present location.
>"my black and white negatives but I do retain copies of all material on
it." material???
Mark

The legacy of Oskar Barnack