Subject: [Leica] [Leica} standards, Doisneau, Summicron performance
From: imxputs <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 99 10:58:09 +0100

Mark wrote:
        >I used to always hear "standardize" from people who always used the
same
        > 400 film for everything. I didn't agree with that approach to great
        > artistic or commercial photography. I wouldn't think youse would
either.
        > So what would "standardize" mean to you? If this is a key to great
work
        > anyone would be extremely interested.
        Mark,
        it is very easy to simplify anything to any extreme position. Assuming
that you must stubbornly stick to a
        one-film-for-everything-approach to make the idea of standardization
viable is quite simplistic. I use 5 to 6
        types of B&W films, 2 filmdevelopers, 6 types of printpaper. In
addition I use 5 to 6 types of colour slide
        film. I measure exposure with two meters (a spot and an incident one)
in situations with ambient, flash and
        mixed ambient/flash light. Exposure levels go from -3 to 18 EV and
contrast can be anything from 3 to 10
        stops. Still I would not hesitate to designate my technique as
standardized. Why: my exposure measurement
        is standard: always the same procedure. My development technique is
standard: always the same temp,
        dilution, and rhythm. My printing technique is standard:exposure times
are fixed within reasonable margins,
        thanks to consistent negative densities. Above all: I have carefully
explored the limits of my material and
        adjusted my technique to exploit every combination to its best
possible merits. And then I stick to these
        procedures. So I am really free in my mind to create or look for these
images I would like to capture with a
        Leica. I do not know of any great master of photography (past or
present) who uses large amounts of
        his/her time to continually experimenting with new films or
film/developer combinations. Everyone will agree
        that is better to know a few materials of choice intimately by
sticking to proven procedures and
        incorporating new material through the same proven procedures and
adjusting to the new characteristics.
        After all it is more satisfying to use one film to perfection, than
ten to just average results.

        Eric wrote that Doisneau is no good example because he occasionally
used models to recreate some
        interesting street images. First of all 99% of D's images are indeed
real life. And why is it bad to recreate a
        scene. The line is quite thin here. It is as example wellknown that
HCB influenced his subjects to behave in
        a way that suited his imaging purposes. He did it subtle, but he did
it anyway. If you look carefully at some
        of his pictures, you have to admit that they are on the brink of being
posed.

        Walt stated that he did not see any differences between the 2/90
Summicron (non asph) and the Elmarit 90.
        That someone does not see it, does not imply that is does not exist.
Here we fall into a very common
        fallacy. Still his message is worth reflecting: I do see clearly
weaknesses in image quality in the full aperture
        performance of the S, compared to the current state of the art. If any
of the messages about absolute or
        relative performance of whatever lens will become meanigfull, we
should refer to our own standards of
        reference. It will really help if we would state exactly what image
details or characteristics we are
        discussing. It is very easy (and I do it all of my workshops) to show
the attendants of the course two
        transparancies and ask them to look for differences. It is very
enlightening to note that even hardcore Leica
        users have great difficulty in looking at a picture with a
'technical-performance' view. Looking at a picture is
        99% an act of the brain and what we ant to see is exactly what we are
going to see.

        Erwin