Subject: Re: [Leica] New, kind, gentle, non offensive, P.C. subject
From: Don McClure <mcclure1@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 21:54:56 -0500

I use Contaflice (that Contaflex plural) quite a bit. I have three,
models I, II and a Prima. Only the Model I works right now, but I hope to
get the others going someday. The Contaflex is tiny, for an SLR, but is
incredibly heavy for its size. Makes it easy to hold it steady at low
shutter speeds, and a deadly weapon too, if you were to throw it at
somebody. The CZ Tessar 2.8/45 is sharp and contrasty, though "they" say
that later models with the 50/2.8 Tessar are better still. The delay
between pushing the button and the shutter firing must be a quarter of a
second, even if the shutter isn't sticking. There's a lot going on in
there!

I'd love to have a Contarex, and I wouldn't stick my nose up at the
Bullseye either, though I agree they ain't very purty. Ivor Mantanle says
in his wonderful classic SLR book something about them being a substitute
for a Siamese cat to stroke in front of the fire on a cold winters night.
I feel that way about my original Leicaflex. A feast to look and listen
to, like an M3. I'd take pictures with it more often if it weren't so
@#$%*& hard to focus in low light.

Don McClure
Abingdon, MD