Subject: Re: [Leica] Freedom of speech and political correctness (off topic)
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 11:31:20 -0800

Marc,

I'm not sure which part of my post you are referring to as simply not true.
The time, place and manner restrictions?

Very clearly even speech which receives the highest First Amendment
protection can be regulated as to the time, place and manner of its
publication. I have a pretty absolute right to voice my opinion about who I
plan to vote for in an upcoming election. But, I don't have a right to do so
through an amplifier, pointed at your bedroom window, at 3:00 a.m. The
content of this speech is not subject to government regulation, but the
time, place and manner in which I make it is.

As to the current test applied to speech which advocates lawless activity,
this is actually a slight expansion of previous interpretations of the First
Amendment. Yes, the Supreme Court is composed of nine individuals who change
over time. But, it is extremely rare that the Court makes an abrupt and
complete reversal of a previous decision. Without researching it, I can only
think of this partially happening once in Free Speech cases and that was,
again, an expansion of the right, when, under certain circumstances,
protection from libel charges was extended to publishers who had actually
printed false statements. Remember also that the U.S. Supreme Court does not
have the final word. The people have the power to amend the Constitution.

See my post to Walt regarding the need for judicial interpretation. I don't
think it can be reasonably argued that judicial interpretation is not
necessary. Try drafting a free speech guarantee that you would not subject
to judicial interpretation and that you feel would survive over time.

Sorry if we're off topic.

Bryan