Subject: Re: [Leica] Chalk and Charcoal in HC110
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:02:37 EST

Dan Post wrote:
>> Tom-
snip
>> I understood from Mark Rabiner that the Potassium Bromide was
interchangeable
>> with the Potassium Iodide... I
snip

Mark Rabiner wrote:
>sorry, wrong impression, it could have been me, they are not to my
>knowledge interchangeable. They are both restrainers but you've got to
>go order the Potassium Iodide or Willi will be mad. You need two deadly
>poisons combining together to form the ultimate Germanic high accutance
>restrainer. I hope Tom agrees.
>Mark Rabiner

Dan,
Mark is right, you cannot interchange the pot. Iodide with the bromide. The
iodide is a "adjacency enhancer" more than a restrainer. The original Beutler
formula lacked it - it was added to the formula in the 60's. I usually mix a
1000 cc each of A and B. The storage capability seems fairly long - at least 2
month in airtight bottles. Potassium Iodide is toxic - I have my local
pharmacist mix up a 1% solution when I need to restock - a 100 ml of that
lasts a long time.
 I have tried the Beutler with faster films too - in Tri-X it gives a very
tight, but distinct grain. Great for pulling  up deep shadow details. Looks
fine on 8x10, but starts to get ugly at 11 x 14.
 You can always try the "long" version of that. Shoot Tri-X at 400 ASA and
process it in Beutler for 60 minutes, with NO agitation whatsoever.
Interesting "bromide drag" effect. Just load the film in the can, tap to
dislodge airbubbles, and leave it sitting for 45-60 minutes, drain, wash and
fix. One of these days I will try that with some slower films - very "artsy"
effect.
Beware of pictorial photography - you have to stop the Noctilux down to f16
and you know what the "LUG" thinks about that!
With Pan-F+ I have been using 71/2-8 minutes at 68F - punchy negs, but highly
printable. I did some Pan-F+ in 120 some years ago, shot with the Fuji GSW III
and done in Beutler (2 minute pre-wash in plain water) - great negs and if you
contact print them on 5x7 paper you can fool people into thinking that these
were Leica negs!
All the best,
Tom A