Subject: Re: [Leica] Japs stole designs: Offensive and disparging
From: Mikiro Mori <arbos@iname.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 19:56:51 +0100

At 4:40 PM +0100 1/9/99, Joe Stephenson wrote:
>Dear fellow LUG users: Re: the subject line
>According to the American Heratige dictionary the word "jap" is
>"(disparaging and offensive)." Is this what we want our public utterances to
>reflect?

Thank you, Joe.

I have waited to see how other LUGgers would respond to the word. It is by
no means politically correct.  However, the real problem is that the
original post was full of ill will toward a specific people or culture.  It
was neither a joke nor an objective statement of the putative theft.

Remember there are quite a few Japanese LUGgers here.  I am a Japanese and
believe that this post was an exceptional aberration in this mailing list.

Cheers,

Mikiro Mori
Strasbourg, Alsace
Visit my gallery at