Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm summicron asph vs 35mm summilux asph
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 00:45:48 EST

I also have both 35 ASPH lenses, but I would give the edge to the Summilux.
Both are excellent performers, with the cron having the size and price
advantage.  But just on a subjective basis, everyone who has seen either
prints or slides from the Summilux comment at how sharp and clear the
photographs are.  I'm talking about people in my lab who have seen hundreds of
thousands of pictures, to pros and people who have been Leica users for 40-50
years.  There's just something about the Summilux ASPH that has that special
"Leica" look.
Only problem I've had with the Summilux is an unusual flare problem.  We're
not talking about a slight veiling flare problem, but a total white out, image
obliterating flare problem!  Its only happened to me once, but Tom A had such
a bad problem with his, he sent his lens back to Solms for Leica to
investigate it.  After having the lens for over six months, the response was
to shield the left side of the lens (where the cut out is) with your hand when
shooting with strong side lighting. Could be an opening for another Tom A
Leica enhancing product.  I feel the problem stems from the lens hood cut out
and the relative flatness of the front element.  Under certain unusual
conditions, i.e., strong side light entering the side of the shade at an
extreme angle, flare can result.
Bottom line: If I had only one lens to choose from the entire line, it would
be the 35 Summilux ASPH.

Bill Rosauer