Subject: Re: [Leica] LEICA - M DRIVE
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 13:14:52 -0800

- -----Original Message-----
From: Wood, Darrell (London) <wooddar@MLE.CO.UK>
To: 'leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us' <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>;
leica-users-digest@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
<leica-users-digest@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Thursday, January 07, 1999 10:03 AM
Subject: [Leica] LEICA - M DRIVE

>To all,
>
>There is a rumour that Leica plan to bring out a redesigned M Drive to
>compliment the TTL is this true?. I had thought of going for the existing
>one.

Before you buy the M-drive from Leica, beg, borrow or steal one of Tom A's
drives. You will never look at the M-drive again! Andddddd....it is Y2K
compliant <G>

>P.S.
>
>It must be possible for them to make a smaller one and quieter.
>It has also even been suggested that they might buy back the patent I
>believe they sold to Tom Abrahamsson, and produce a resigned Leicavit.
>
>Many Thanks
>Darrell

I do believe it would be the other way around...Leica would need to buy the
patent from Tom and reduce their parts list by 400%.

The Leicavit and Tom's winder accomplish the same thing, but in a different
manner. Tom's is much more reliable and can be repaired in the field if
needed.

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA