Subject: Re: [Leica] Your Favorite Color Slide Film
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 13:09:51 -0300

At 10:30 AM 07/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
>An impromptu survey:
>
>In 25 words or less, what is your favorite color slide film and why (the film
>you believe compliments Leica glass)?

1/ FUJI MS100/1000
        Good skin tones, not too contrasty or saturated. PUSHABLE.
Great for photographing people and photojournalism. Provia or Astia is
similar but not as pushable and are a bit more saturated and contrasty.

I shoot A LOT of this.  Over 200 rolls on a corporate/industrial job in Sept.

2/ FUJI Velvia
        USELESS for people or skin tones. Great for landscapes, commercial,
nature and industrial work.  Maximum colour saturation, maximum resolution.

        This was the Kodachrome killer. Kodachrome (especially the 200) is
still great but E-6 is much more convenient for fast turnaround in
commercial/editorial applications.

3/ AGFA professional slide films are still a little grainy compared to Fuji
but are ideal for natural colour rendition...especially skin tones. Low
contrast, muted but accurate colour.  I turn to this when working with
people in high contrast lighting conditions (bright northern sunlight where
there can be a 3 stop difference between shadow and highlight.)

4/ AGFA SCALA  Black & White slide film...what more can I say?

...such is my experience,
Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
TOUCHED BY FIRE; doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
McClelland & Stewart Canada.  ISBN#0-7710-5305-3
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm