Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Y2K off- topic
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:07:36 -0500

Pete-
I wonder if any of these people ever had anyone read the story of "Chicken
Little" to them when they were children?
There are very few machines out there without some sort of manual over ride
simply because computers do fail.... possible exceptions are the totally
computerised cameras! :)
I would imagine that the biggest problem would be to get the operators off
their butts and to have them flip some switches manually.
When I dispatched for the Police Department, we had Computer Aided Dispatch,
but the times we lost computers, and in several cases the radio system, we
managed to get the job done- even to the extent of dispatching using legal
pads to keep track of the activities, and walkie-talkies to dispatch units.
Mankind has survived nearly 6000 years of recorded civilization without
computers, and I can't believe that we've completely lost our ability to
adapt and improvise in the last 40-50 years!
Dan
dwpost@msn.com