Subject: Re: [Leica] Summilux 50/1.4 vs. Summicron 50/2?
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 11:41:24 -0500

- --------------5C22AC235CC25FDB96B7047C

"Andrew M. Moore" wrote:

> Comparing the latest versions of the 50/2 Summicron-M and 50/1.4 Summilux-M:
>
> Are these two lenses equal enough in most areas that the decision is
> simply "do I spend more money for the extra stop?", or do these lenses
> have some other characteristics (good or bad) that distinguish them from
> one another?
>
> I'm particularly interested in:
>
> - ergonomics (I found the Summicron very "comfortable", easy to focus, etc.
> - viewfinder blockage (with hood extended)
> - optics (I know the 50/2 has an excellent reputation)
>
> Andrew

Andrew,

One of the reasons I prefer my Summicron DR when lighting conditions
allow over the Summilux is that it only takes a 150 degree turn to go
from close focus to infinity. It's fast. My Summilux is about 180
degrees. Also the weight is lighter even with the chrome finish and I
like the knurling on the focus ring. Frankly, I don't give a hoot about
the optical performance of each one because they're both Leica glass. So
while one may be better than the other they both exceed any of my Canon
stuff and they perform in that rarefied realm that this marque is known
for.

Carl Socolow
- --------------5C22AC235CC25FDB96B7047C

begin:vcard