Subject: [Leica] Re: why not..?
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 14:45:35 -0600

At 11:44 AM 04/01/99 -0700, Jeff wrote:
>This holiday season, Soundtrack, Office Depot, CompUSA and others were
>running free financing deals, [cut]
>Why not Leica? For that matter, why not Hasselblad?

Hasselblad used to have a purchase/lease plan.  You bought your equipment,
then "leased" it in monthly installments.  After you made the last lease
payment you sent them one dollar to purchase it.  You paid slightly more
than if you had put the cash on the table, but if you could not pay it off
in one shot, it was a good way to go.  Back then interest rates were much
higher as well.
   I have no idea why these financing options are no longer used.  Today it
seems as if the instant cash rebate is the marketing strategy that camera
manufacturers are all using.   Wouldn't it be nice to have instant cash
rebates and the option of having extended free financing.  It's nice to see
some dealers like Patrick willing to offer such plans.