Subject: Re: [Leica] Musings on the role of photography (long but intelligent response ..
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 12:00:53 -0500

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Kevin Hoffberg wrote:

<really big snip>
>I have seen lovely images made with a shoebox pinhole camera and I have
seen
>stuff made with some really high priced gear that put me to sleep.  What
>makes it art and what makes it work is between your ears.  Think whatever
>you think and take pics of what ever inspires, amuses or looks funny or
>right and trust your gut instinct.  If you are fortunate and it speaks to
>somebody else as well, it will say something different to them anyway.
>
>Kevin Hoffberg

No argument from me.  Sometimes the Leica is the most appropriate tool,
sometimes it ain't and sometimes it don't matter.  Most often I find that
the Leica (in my case the SL) lets me concentrate more on what I see and
less on the mechanics of operating the tool.  The design of the Leica makes
this possible, and so I also see the Leica as a work of artistic genius
even as I work the @#$& out of 'em.

Doug Herr
Sacramento