Subject: Re: [Leica] SM Leicas
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 21:14:41 -0800

Terry Price (Edgecombe-Coles House) wrote:

> Like Kent and Bob I like to use an LTM camera. My first Leica was a IIIc
> and I now have a IIIf. I got it with the flat Leica fitted leather case,
> complete with several lenses, hoods, a self timer and meter, half a dozen
> filters, an imarect finder, an Imarect viewer and even a Leica cable
> release. It's wonderful having the entire outfit in such a small neat case.
> I recently got a black III (or F) in near mint condition. It is actually
> smaller than the IIIf and the shutter is smoother and quieter. I can't wait
> to use it  but I have one worry. It seems to work nicely, slow speeds sound
> right but I know that it has been stored away for thirty or forty years. Do
> you experts out there think it is safe to use now or should I have it CLA'd
> first? It looks so nice that I'd hate to ruin it.

I doubt that using the III will hurt it, but if you expect to use it a
lot a CLA will make the shutter speeds more accurate and predictable,
or, worth doing.

> One other question. The meter with my IIIf works erratically. Is there
> anyplace to get it repaired and would it be worthwhile?

Quality Lightmetric should be able to fix it.

Dennis

Quality Light-Metric

    Attention: Mr George Milton
    Suite 210
    6922 Hollywood Boulevard
    Hollywood California 90028
    213-467-2265
    As to pricing, call George or Tracy and ask.