Subject: [Leica] Re: FX-39
From: "Gerry Walden" <photos@gerrywalden.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 08:25:07 -0000

There seems to be some confusion/problem with FX-39 here on the LUG.   This
is a developer made by the UK company Paterson.   It is based on a formula
by a guy who has formulated a whole range of developers (Unitol, Acutol
etc.) for the company, and they are all excellent products in my opinion.
FX-39 in particular is formulated for the newer T-grain films (Ilford Delta
100, Kodak T-max 100 etc.) and is only really suitable and recommended for
films below 200iso.   The company recommend their alternative product
Aculux2 for higher speed films.   I use this latter product and can
recommend it.   Both products are relatively expensive but have the
advantage that they are packed in small bottles (300ml - 10 fl.oz) and the
largest size that they market is 2 x 300ml. for about $9.   They say that
they do this to ensure chemicals are not stored for too long in the
darkroom.

If anyone is interested I can contact their sales department and try and
ensure that sales literature/list of US stockists is mailed to them.   They
also market a whole range of darkroom items, together with b&w film and
paper here in the UK.   Please email me direct if you are interested.

BTW, I have no connection with the company but have enjoyed using their
products since I started in photography in about 1960.

Gerry (UK)