Subject: Re: [Leica] Zeiss Softar I
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:55:39 -0800

Vivitar makes a Softar-like diffuser.
Lest anyone demean the quality of a “Vivisoft”, please consider the
following:

Vivitar makes those filters in many sizes, including 39 and 46mm.
The Vivitar version looks and works just like the Zeiss.
The cost is but a fraction of the Zeiss
Both are made of plastic.
Both do exactly the same thing: deteriorate the image sharpness by
diffusion.

Years ago, when a Softar cost little, I bought one in 67mm.
I lasted less than 2 years. Eventually the plastic deteriorated and became
foggy.
I have not encountered such problem with the Vivitars.
JC