Subject: Re: [Leica] RE digitizing images for the web
From: Francesco <fls@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:45:42 -0800

I have owned a Polaroid Sprintscan 35 Plus AND a Nikon LS-1000,
AND I have used PhotoCD over the past year to archive over 2500
slides onto 25 PhotoCDs.  Why do I keep using PhotoCD instead
of scanning slides myself?

Scanning slides on a home scanner is OK for a web storefront,
stock photo sample page, or for logos, etc., but for images that you
can SELL to companies and discriminating clients, PhotoCD is the
ONLY way to go, unless of course your desktop scanner is a
Linotype-Hell desktop DRUM SCANNER!  I doubt any of us have one
of those on our desks.....more like a run-of-the-mill $500 to $2000
film scanner.

If you think you can sell stock images that you run off a Nikon scanner
you're dreaming, unless you target the low-end or web market.  PhotoDisc
or Tony Stone, for example (and probably all the other big names) use
drum scanners for all their images.  You just cannot deliver a
competitive product with a Nikon or Polaroid film scanner.
PhotoCD is the bare minimum you need to even get a glance.

Francesco