Subject: Re: [Leica] Musings on the role of photography and a question about what you shoot and why
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 11:39:42 -0600

>As I'm writing this, I have on my coffee table (silly name for a low table)
>a copy of a book of Ansel Adam's photos and another by Eugene Smith which
>strikes this same juxtaposition.

Actually, of all the photojournalists (The Trash Can School of Photography
as Ansel Adams like to tease them) W. Eugene Smith is probably not the one
to contrast against Adams. Adams often mentioned Smith as the best example
of the good side of photojournalism. Smith often used beauty to draw
attention to his subject. Sebastiao Salgado does the same.

Adams had a war going with Steichen, because, partly, Steichen drove Adams'
friend, photo historian Beumont Newhall, out of the Museum of Modern Art
and took over. Steichen was a believer in the story-telling angle to
photography. What the photo communicated is more important than how it does
it. Rather than seeing the value of both.

Cariter-Bresson criticized Adams and Weston for "photographing rocks and
trees when the world is falling apart" or something like that. People who
are passionate about what they do, and believe in its value very strongly,
are likely to fall into this exclusionistic trap. Otherwise, they probably
wouldn't care all that much about what they do. No?

You have to go with what you see as your desire to tell a story. I'm sure
what you've become interested in is not high on most people's lists. But
who cares? Go with it. People often change their approaches as they mature.
Not that it can't go the other way as one matures. I sometimes think I'm
tired of the photojournalistic genre and want to get into the broader world
of editorial/commercial shooting. The kind of work that Ernst Haas did, or
Pete Turner or Jay Meisel. That looks like fun. (There's sure a lot more
money there!)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO