Subject: RE: [Leica] SHARPNESS (long)
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 12:14.44 +0100

I agree completely that Leica should lower the price of bodies (without reducing quality). From a marketing perspective, this makes pefect sense and is a tactic followed by many businesses ranging from Gilette to inkjet printer makers to drug dealers: get the customer onboard first by selling the razor, the printer, or the initial drugs cheaply, and then make money by selling consumables (razor blades, ink cartridges) or accessories like additional lenses. If I were in charge of marketing at Leica, I would offer a low-cost (relative term) M6+50mm Summicron entry package and than lean back and watch the victims splurge on lenses (spoken as a victim myself).

Nathan

From   : "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Sent   : 29.12.98
To     : leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

However, Ted, I wonder if it has ever occurred to Leica that if they lowered
the prices on the hideously and inexcusably overpriced non-glass crap
accessories - i.e., $35 rubber lens shade caps - $30-40 plastic lens caps -
etc. - it would be easier to swallow the rationalization of "quality costs
money" for the lenses and bodies - although I'm sure they could lower the
prices on the bodies some and still maintain quality.....