Subject: Re: [Leica] lens report 24/2,8 M and R
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 15:43:18 -0700

Erwin Puts wrote:

> I used two exemplars of the Elmarit-M 2.8/24 ASPH (# 3782523 and #3844221)
> and compared it to the Elmarit-R 2,8/24.  Specs can be found everywhere.
> No Leica M user should be without this lens. The M style of photography
> demands intimate close range photography and the 24 is one of the best
> lenses to explore this area. It delivers unsurpassable quality in the 24
> focal length.
>
> Erwin

Thanks for this for me timely posting. I am extending my lens groups out
from 35-90 M's. It was my intention to get the 24 and skip both 28 and
21. Would you say the 24 edges out what is being offered in 28? I would
think so.
I am glad we were about to see a direct M to R Comparison but we are
also looking at an ASPH to non comparison.
Although formulas are well known could you tell me/us if we are talking
retrofocus design M's against non Retrofocus Teles turned backwards R's.
I am undoubtedly oversimplifying the matter.