Subject: Re: [Leica] SHARPNESS
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 09:15:03 +0100

Ted Grant wrote:
> None other than Erwin Puts, he's the best of the lens technical breed as
> far as I'm concerened. I've learned more about lenses from Erwin in the few
> years I've been aboard the LUG, than the previous 40 years. He makes the
> results understandable and interesting.

What Erwin certainly does is convincing people like me to spend their
money on new unaffordable Leica lenses instead of the affordable 2nd
hand 'anybrand' ones. Not that I will ever discover the 'differences'
myself with my handheld photography ;-)

> You see 99.9% of the time I'm far too busy having fun and earning a few
> dollars to concern myself with things of his nature. If it actually made me
> produce "better pictures" not just "sharper pictures," I'd give it a whirl.
> However, I don't believe knowing this kind of stuff is going to make me a
> better photographer. and when it comes to people who buy photographers and
> photography,
> an awful bunch of them wouldn't even notice the difference one way nor
> another. Unfortunately.

Ted,

You are right: 'better pictures' are most of the time unrelated to
'sharper pictures'. What counts is subject matter, angle of view,
composition, the game of colors or the interaction of shades of gray.
And the fact that the image is relevant to viewers other than the
photographer.

The Leica (or Nicamintax) part of it is the enabling process. The
resolution chart part of it is one the marketing arguments used by the
manufacturers of those tools. Leica is more fun :-)

Alan